Written by: Rebecca Flores
If you’re asking yourself, “Do I really need counseling?”, “Why can’t I get it together without counseling?” or “Why does everyone else look so happy and they’re not in counseling?” This article is for you. We get it. Counseling kinda sucks.
This is why counseling could suck:
- We don’t even know where to start.
- We sometimes think some random stranger will give us advice.
- We wonder if the therapist will give us a blank stare and ask us how we feel.
- We worry about wasting money.
- We worry about having to talk about ALL that stuff in the past.
- We wonder if it’s going to take us years.
- We think it’s going to be a cure or the answer to it all and if it’s not, THEN WHAT
Counseling doesn’t have to suck and here’s why:
- You don’t have to know where to start. We will help you with that part. You just have to come as you are, where you are in your life at this moment.
- As therapists, we don’t just dole out advice, we work WITH you and FOR you, so you can get where you need to be to feel better.
- Therapists know the dreaded question “How does that make you feel?” Will we ask this SOMETIMES? Sure- but it will be natural in sessions.
- If you don’t feel it in your gut that the therapist across from you is right for you, then you don’t have to continue. It’s about you, not the therapist! We want you to feel like you can do your best work with us, and if you don’t feel that way, we won’t take it personally. Ok, our feelings get just a little bit hurt because we are human. But we really do just want you to be with the person who you feel a connection to. We will always, at a minimum, point you in the direction of someone else who may be a better fit for you!
- It’s true that sometimes the past is creeping up on our present, but there are other ways to work with what’s going on without having to dig up your past if you don’t feel ready.
- There have been so many advances in care, so counseling doesn’t have to take years.
- Counseling isn’t a cure or the ANSWER to it all. Through counseling, you will be able to figure out what needs to be worked through and we help you figure out HOW to get to where you need to be to start feeling better again.
Ultimately, we want your glass to be half full again. So if you’re considering starting counseling, take a look at this blog for some extra tips before you get started.